Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ode To My Dear Palm


Farewell good and faithful friend. I have enjoyed our six months of bliss together. You have kept me connected to my family and friends and rarely made me the victim of a dropped call. You were my dependable rock and I suffered the days I left you plugged in at home and we spent the days apart. You helped me keep all my commitments by sounding your alarm every time I was to be somewhere. I can't thank you enough for that. I've never been so punctual in all my life. You were sleek and stylish too. I felt so professional using your stylus and touch screen; look out Barbara Walters. Your shiny chrome stripe looked very classy and I was very proud to carry you as my constant companion. Let's not forget your incredible clarity. You were soft spoken at times, but free from static 99.9% of the time. Who could ask for more than you? You put up a great fight dear Palm, but alas, you were no match for the one-year-old who caused your untimely demise. You could only take so much slobber before you had to succomb. I do not blame you and hope you did not suffer too badly. I understand that you had to leave this life for what I hope is a slobber-free Palm heaven.

Please don't be angry, but I had to replace you. With you went all my contacts, calendar items, pictures, videos and texts so believe me I grieved at your passing, but I must move on. Your replacement will never meet the standard you have set, and let's face it, she's ugly, but I had no choice. I will never forget you dear friend. Meet your replacement. Only a mother could love a face like this and I must admit I am a little embarrassed to carry her. But she is now carrying my recovered contacts and a few new text messages, so I must give her the respect she demands. She's quite sassy compared to you and I hope with time I will grow used to her. For now, I call her the phone formerly known as "Palm".

7 comments:

Brandi Jo said...

That is funny! I can't tell you how many phone's my children have ruined! I have finally learned that it is not a toy, not matter how desperate I am to get them to be quite at times! Ha ha...

hillari said...

that is a very sad story. :) Isaac ruined my cell phone when he was around a year too--I learned my lesson about slobber.

Phil and Stacie said...

Hilarious Amy!
My kids haven't ruined a phone by slobber, but they've used other great methods. Their favorite is dropping it on something hard--grocery store floors are PERFECT!

Franna and Jon Larsen said...

That is sooo funny. I have also lost phones around the time Sophie was one, the only problem was that I was the one that ruined them. Not nearly as funny when you are the culprit. Good luck adjusting to your "phone formerly known as palm"

Burke family said...

Oh my gosh! You crack me up! Way to put the English major to use! :) I definitely think the girls should plan something for H2C weekend. We could definitely think of something more fun to do than be stuck in a van and run at all hours of the night, right?

Carrie said...

This post is too funny! And it is a good reminder to keep my cell phone far away from my own little slobber monster.

lrbodine said...

My phone is on its way out as well thanks to my daughter! We live in Mesa right now (Country Club & 60 area) and have a fixer upper home but like you we're hoping to move to Gilbert in a few years as well. It's fun to know there are people from "home" living in Arizona now.