Sunday, December 13, 2009

Before & Afters

I've been promising these to several people for quite a while and there are LOTS of pictures so let's just get started. Here is our new house. We love it so much and don't care if we never move again. To many it's just your average home, but to us it's a real dream come true. A lot of sweat and blood went into this house...mostly by Andrew, but I did some painting and made some decisions so let's just say "WE" did this :) Here is the front of the house as we found it. Notice that you can't even SEE half of the house and there are two completely different garages. We saw potential!
Here is the front after. Just like a trip to the hair salon; a trim and color can do wonders!
The old entry. Notice carpeted walk-way, orange paint, non-existent base boards and early 90's light fixture.
We tiled the entry, framed the windows, new base boards and light fixtures...no more orange paint. Bye-bye orange...you are NOT missed.
The front door used to be an icky light beige color...Andrew chose this midnight blue on his own. He is one brave man and he's super lucky I loved it! Shows more of the framed windows...I love that part! I don't know if you can see the tumbled-stone design on the floor by the door. New light fixture...old one resembled that of the before pic above.
Before kitchen. Not bad at all actually. Notice laminate countertops and direction/size of island. Also ugly, old tile :)
New hardware on cabinets and granite. The granite is actually a green color, but this picture makes it look black. Sorry. We turned the island and added a breakfast bar. That was MY genius idea. I pat myself on the back regularly. There is a big open space in the kitchen now, room for several people to be in there at once. I love gathering in the kitchen.
Before master bedroom. Notice carpeted bathroom. ICK. Also notice nice brass features and cute little toddler in the corner.
New paint job and base boards. No cute toddler in this picture, but she spends plenty of time in our room...I promise.
Not a great after pic, but we changed the lights, added tile and SPRAY PAINTED the shower black. Yep, that's right. It's great too. That's how we do things in AZ.
Second upstairs bath. Notice shower walls and yucky tile. Also AWESOME padded toilet seat complete with caution tape.
Andrew tiled this shower himself. It's travertine and granite. New fixtures and bye-bye padded toilet seat.
Andrew tiled the downstairs shower too with white slate and a cool glass mosaic, but I don't have a finished picture of that yet. I'll work on it...I promise :)

13 comments:

Crystal and Billy said...

Way to go! I especially love the tile job on the bathroom. We just finished our master bath and are gonna tackle our upstairs "kids" bathroom soon. I might just steal your design. :)

Looks like a good place to call home. Congrats!

Liesel said...

It all looks so beautiful! You guys did a great job!

lrbodine said...

I love all the changes and updates! We really should try and meet up with the kids after the new year now that you are on this side of town. Hope your mom is doing better...your family has been in our prayers!

Janae May said...

Thank you Amy, that was a great tour! I appreciate the beauty of your house even more now that i've seen the before!

Maylene said...

That looks so good! Wow, that must have been a ton of work but I'm sure it is all worth it now. Have fun in your new house. Aren't you just loving Gilbert?

Rebecca Parker said...

whoa! you have been busy...pretty sad comp to what we've done to ours in 6 yrs?! seriously black shower?? what's wrong with padded toilet seat? that needs to be comfy spot for me when i bathe boys:) i had to throw away cover to theirs...just wait until owen is older!! i'm so impressed with your manual labor & that you have pics to prove it since our camera got stolen with our house progress:( oh well! can appreciate the sweat equity & now hopefully you can relax for holidays:) your mom's kitchen looks nice too with its changes-wesolych swiat in ca!

Mikael said...

WOW!!! That is SOOO beautiful!! I am jelous! I want a house that I can say I will live there forever (because the house I live in now is NOT my forever home). You did a really amazing job with all the changes. and the fact that you were able to do them ALL before you moved in, again, JELOUS!!! (we do 1 or 2 huge projects a year... next is my granite and kitchen redo!!!) LOVE IT!

Miss Kris said...

I am so impressed, since I've only seen the "after" in person. You guys really did do a lot of hard work, and you did it with a new baby!

Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Life for the Pillings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life for the Pillings said...

Your house looks great Amy! You can tell that you two have put a lot of hard work into it and it's paid off. I am sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she is doing better!!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!!!

The Becks said...

You two have been hard at work! My goodness! Congratulations on the new house. The diamond in the rough is now just a diamond! It looks fabulous. Cortney and I are debating on building again or buying a foreclosure. Then again... we are having an even harder time talking ourselves out of leaving our incredibly cheap rental and acting like grown ups again. Your house looks so great it really makes me want to make the plunge again. I love it!

The Becks said...

Also, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I was shocked. Why does it always seem to happen to the best and most angelic people? Please let her know we are thinking of her and hope and pray only for the best for your family.

Sarah said...

holy cow! I love it! I love what you did to it! Looks AWESOME!