Thursday, April 8, 2010

Real Life

I’ve been back from WA for about a week now. Back to real life which lacks the protection of the bubble I was encompassed by in WA. It was, in two very opposing ways, the most amazing and crushing experience of my life. One thing is certain, I will never forget any moment of it.

While it continues to be the most difficult thing I have faced in life, I am certain and firm that I have been the recipient of countless blessings. Heavenly Father has showered our family with tender mercies that persist in comforting us. We received every opportunity to create memories, express feelings and say our good byes. And when Mom passed away, we were there holding not only her hands, but each others’. I am constantly reminded that many people do not have that opportunity. I can’t imagine the heart ache of those who lose loved ones suddenly. That must be so much more difficult. Someone remind me to post pictures from the funeral later. More than those I’m attaching here. It was a BEAUTIFUL service. My Mom, in true-to-herself fashion, made all the arrangements in advance. She asked each of the children to speak, which was daunting at first, but turned out to be a final gift from Mom. I’ll post more about that too.

For now, I take the small things that can bring such a big smile to my face.

This little man is pure marshmallow. He is Momma’s boy and I wouldn’t have it any other way. He makes me feel great when I walk in the room and he lights up and starts to wiggle and squirm uncontrollably. When we embrace he buries his head in me and bites down HARD on my shoulder. The tiny teeth marks left behind remind me how very much he cares.

8 comments:

Libby said...

i am so sorry to hear about your mom. i can't even imagine. my thoughts and prayers have been and will continue to be with you and your family. though the heartache i know is unimaginable i am sure it is much more comforting knowing you will see her again!

my dad was at the funeral and said he was very impressed with all of the kids talks but was extremely impressed with you.

lrbodine said...

I've been thinking a lot about your family the last couple of weeks. We just had the 5 year anniversary of my mom passing so it's a really tender time of year for me in rembrance! I will continue to pray for your family and the strength to keep on going. I've never FELT the power of prayers as much as when my mom passed away. And as always - I'm not too far away from you in Arizona if you ever need a good cry or vent or anything. I completely understand what you are going through!

Charlene said...

It was two years ago today that my mother-in-law passed away. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel and know that we will be re-united one day. Thinking of you!

Burke family said...

You have such a great attitude and new perspective on life. Your faith and testimony are so strong. You really are an inspiration to me. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy each day and every hug, smile, and even sticky fingerprint. :)

Nicole said...

Amy~ I was sitting here trying to figure something to make for dinner and instead thought I would look at peoples blogs and got on yours. I had not heard that your mom passed away. I am so sorry. I am sure she is looking at you watching you be such an awesome mom so proud of what you are doing. I hope you continue to feel strength and peace. Love ya! nicole

S+S said...

can't wait to hear more. I like the picture of your family by the casket, because you are all smiling and it's a picture that says to me-- you are a forever family and you know you will see you mother again.

Crystal and Billy said...

Hey girl, how are you hanging in there?

The Becks said...

Oh Amy... how much you are loved! All I can think of is what a wonderful legacy your Mom has! Just look at your family. You and Erin are often in my thoughts.