Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Funeral in Pictures

Fair warning, there are a lot of pictures in this post. I could never display every flower that was sent or every friend and family member who was there. I think we had almost 500 people. I can only say thank you. Deeply thank you for your love and kindness to my Mom and our family.

Here is my Mom's family: Mother Helen, Father Cecil, Older Brother Michael, Sister in Law Betty and Younger Brother Barry.


Here is my Dad's family. Younger Brother Larry, Older Sister Christine, Mother Sonia and Younger Sister Patty.

The rememberance room was my project for the week. Rather than an open casket (which would have done no justice to the beautiful and youthful woman my Mother was), we had a rememberance room filled with pictures of my Mom in every stage of her life. Also, we displayed her crafts, sewing, quilting, paintings (Mom painted the portraits of
Jon and me), nursing and community accomplishments, loves of music and family. I think it turned out pretty great and served its purpose of reminding everyone of the kind of person Mom is.


The "Award" on this table was given to my Mom by my Dad and Erin on her very first Mother's Day. Mom made these Christmas crafts...our house is always FILLED with amazing crafts during Christmas.





















Notice the old school picture of our family and the one of my Mom as a kid. She was a doll!








This is my favorite table, allbeit small. These are three pictures from my parents' wedding day and one of my all time individual portraits of my Mom. The little oval one sits on my Dad's dresser.







At Mom's request, Erin played "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" at the funeral. It was my Mom's favorite church song. We had it mounted and displayed, which I thought turned out pretty cool.










This is my Mom's best friend, Denise Shaw. Mom admired her more than almost anyone I know. She would always tell us that when she thinks of charity, she thinks of Denise. It is so true...we couldn't have made it through this without her.









The little ones put flowers on Mom's casket. Elly now says that "Grandma is with the flowers."







































Just for my memory's sake, I'm going to outline the program.
Family Prayer, Christopher Williams
Presiding, Elder Perin Walker of the 70
Conducting, Bishop Scott
Opening Song....I forget already! I'll ask my Dad.
Opening Prayer, Mom's Dad Grandpa Talbot
Eulogy, Bishop Scott
Piano Solo, Erin Abrams "My Heavenly Father Loves Me"
Remberances, Amy Bang, Christopher Williams, Erin Abrams, Janae May, Jonathan Williams
Musical Number, Mom's Friends "When Faith Endures"
Rememberance, Denise Shaw
Closing Remarks, President Call
Impromptu (at the request of Pres. Call) remarks, Dad
Closing Song, I Believe in Christ
Closing Prayer, Bro. Cousins
Dedication of the Grave, Jonathan Williams

5 comments:

lrbodine said...

My dad said the funeral service was beautiful and reminded him a lot of my mom's funeral 5 years ago with the love and support of the community. I'm impressed that all of you kids talked! My mom had me write the eulogy for her but didn't have my give it - thank goodness. Again, my prayers are still with your family. Let me know if you need anything!

lrbodine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Oh Amy. I was extremely sad when I heard the news. Your Mom is an amazing woman. I am sorry for your loss and will pray for you. I know it takes time and you still have moments that your heart will ache. I love you! You are amazing!
It was great to find your blog!

samandpeteVDP said...

Lovely post. Great job on the rememberance room. My mom mentioned how cool that was, but I don't think she fully realized it was totally your project. I'm sure your mom was very proud of her organized and honoring daughter!

Rebecca Parker said...

have hesitated just being repeat tour of everyone else who has commented; however, had to let you know i was thinking of you & your fam during the aftershocks esp as mothers' day gets closer:( so amazed @ your composure when you all participated in service, which was very special. thanks for incl my mom as the feeling was mutual re: their friendship in the end. she was particularly impressed as she mentioned in her talk re: your mom's vision and peace throughout final days...her eternal perspective was contagious so hopefully that will stay with you although i know you will have & are very entitled to some mortal moments as well in which the void is evident-know you are all loved! the remembrance room was a tender touch that will also leave lasting impression...what a sweet tribute!