Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Four Corners and Mesa Verde National Park

Labor Day weekend we drove to Mesa Verde National Park in CO to camp with my sisters and their families. Because we were with Erin and Ben, of course we had to make a stop on our way (they are famous for their detours) at Four Corners. That was actually pretty neat. I have never been to New Mexico or Colorado, but now I have been to both...at the same time! It is a pretty neat landmark and is literally in the middle of nowhere. I expected it to be in a busy location, but definitely not. Don't judge me by this pic...it is a very weird angle I think :)
The reason we chose Mesa Verde is because of its large collection of ancient Puebloan cliff dwellings. I think I read that it is the largest group of cliff dwellings in the United States. It was truly impressive to see how inventive these people were over 800 years ago. The people formerly known as "Anasazi" built these dwellings in the 12th and 13th centuries. Our tour guide told us that they are now called the Ancient Puebloans b/c it is a more PC term. Apparently Anasazi is a Navajo word that means "ancient enemy"....guess I wouldn't want to be called that either. Below is Cliff Palace, the largest and most popular cliff dwelling in the park. From left: Andrew, Elly andAmy Bang, Peter and Janae May, Nathan, Ben, Tyler and Erin Abrams.
This was a smaller dwelling, but we had to crawl through a one-man hole to get to it. We also had to climb a 30 foot ladder to get out of it so it was an adventure!
Here are the 3 cousins from the trip: Nathan, Tyler and Elly. They had a good time with one another, but Elly was a little scared of being outdoors all the time...silly girl! I don't think she walked all weekend! We wore the kids out though and they slept GREAT. What a relief! It was great to see family...we had such a fun time!

11 comments:

hillari said...

How fun! We went there a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Uffens Family said...

Looks like a fun get-a-way with your sisters! We need to get out and explore a lot more since I am guessing we are not that far away from that either :)

Burke family said...

My family went to that years ago. It is SUPER cool! Sounds like a fun trip with your sister. How did Elly do camping? We haven't tried it with Jordan yet.

Carrie said...

This looks like such a fun trip. What a neat place to see!

The West Family said...

Keep doing things while your family is small in numbers. Once we got out numbered, we just didn't do as much. Now that they are a bit older, we are getting out there.

Brandi Jo said...

Hey Amy!
I just made my blog private. Send me an email and I can invite you! bambiejojo@cox.net

hairprincess said...

Wow looks like alot of fun! I am so glad you came over to hang with me for a bit I hope you like your haircut! Let me know how your bows teaching activity goes too and we should hang again soon!:)

The Becks said...

Hey, just found your blog thru Rach. This is Holly Fish Beck. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and your little girl is so cute! Email me at holly.accounts@hotmail.com and I will authorize you to view our family blog. Good to catch up with you!

Ginger and Gregg said...

What a cool trip! I can't say I have ever been there but it looks really interesting.

Brenna said...

Hey Amy! This is Brenna Foley. I saw your blog from Libby's. Your little Evelyn is so cute! Love the name- I also have a daughter named Evelyn. :) You have such a cute family. Just wanted to say hi!

The Burnah Clan said...

fun trip. I like your new look on your blog